Strategic Marine Alliance for Research & Training (SMART)
The Strategic Marine Alliance for Research and Training (SMART) is a marine science partnership programme for developing Ireland’s capacity for marine science, research, and monitoring.
It achieves this by:
- Supplying accredited offshore marine science training programmes to higher education institutes.
- By training undergraduate and postgraduate students in needed offshore data collection and sampling skills
- Maintaining effective collaboration between higher education institutes, the Marine Institute and Ireland’s national seabed mapping programme INFOMAR.
- Delivering structured access to Ireland’s research vessel for third level students throughout Ireland.
- Building Ireland’s reputation as a global destination for training and mentoring in offshore marine science.
SMART is based in the Atlantic Technological University in Galway. 2023 partners include the Marine Institute, Atlantic Technical University, University of Galway, and University College Cork, INFOMAR and Geological Survey Ireland.